I just finished the most painless server transition I've ever experienced.
My hosting deal with godaddy was about to renew, so I looked around for another deal, and I ended up going with bluehost.com. Here's the vitals:
- 300 Gigabyte Hosting Space
- Host Unlimited Domains
- 2,500 POP/Imap Email Accounts
- 3,000 GIGS of Transfer
- SSH (Secure Shell), SSL, FTP, Stats
- CGI, Ruby (RoR), Perl, PHP, MySQL
$7.95/month when you buy a year. $6.95 if you buy two years.
I used Transmit (www.panic.com) to synchronize all files from my old host to a local folder, and then just synchronized from the local folder to my new host!
Both hosts offer phpMyAdmin, so it was easy to export my data from one host and import to the other.
Done within a few hours.
My attempts to rush out a TivoSlimserverClient with SlimServer 6.5 compatibility did not fly. Some poor users did try to use 0.2.1a, only to be frustrated by its failure to launch.
Release 0.2.2a is now available from here.
Changes in 0.2.2a:
- fixed "players count ?" crash
- fixed duration display to support hours and leading zeroes
- Tivo Remote Shortcuts help screen now scrollable
- added duration to Song Info screen
- using generic art on Song Info and Album Info screens
This is a very minor update.
There were changes in the command line interface to SlimServer 6.5 that broke TivoSlimserverClient. I have made a few changes to let users of version 6.5 in on the fun.
Get it here.
For anyone who may be in the Long Beach, CA area next weekend, I will be participating in Soundwalk 2006 on October 6th and 7th.
From the press release:
On October 6th and 7th, 2006, the Long Beach artist group, FLOOD, will present SoundWalk2006, the third annual SoundWalk event, that will feature returning artists as well as new participants from the Southland and International sound art and multi media scene. The event kicks off Friday evening with performances by sound artists, presented in a theatrical forum. Saturday’s event operates under the concept of a one-night aural/visual experience as provided by a walking-tour of the sound installations located in various indoor and outdoor spaces situated throughout the East Village Arts District in Downtown Long Beach. The artworks will combine in multiple ways a wide range of visual and audio components. There will be sculptures, environments, installations, and performances. It is the variety and innovation of works that makes the event memorable for all who visit.
I am working with Harry Um (restlessears). This is our first collaboration.
TivoSlimserverClient has been updated.
Changes in this version:
- made selection bar wider for Choose Player
- made generic "Artwork Not Available" graphic
- added Maximum Bitrate preference
- added song length to main info screen
- made server status queries more efficient
- fixed exception that occured when slimserver cli command was prepending player address at launch.
TivoSlimserverClient is now available in two formats: jnlp (Java Web Start) and jar.
I am providing the jar for users who may already be running TivoHME environments, such as Galleon.
Available for download at: http://edmondcho.com/products/tivoslim.php